Who Am I In Crisis?



Who am I?  Well I haven't done a blog post in 3 years so clearly not a blogger.  But I've had to ask myself that question the past few months.  Am I the same person during this pandemic that I was before it?  Is my focus still the same?  Am I only 'all the things I say I believe or am I actually all the things I do.'
 I've had the privilege of living in a great country, with a great family, and relatively problem free life. I chose at an early age to follow Christ because of the message of love, and the message of Jesus to reach out to those in need. I never take for granted that I was born into a country that is relatively safe for me and gives me the freedom to follow Christ.  I am also very aware that although I'm grateful and love that I have the Freedom to worship, America was founded on the ideals of the "American Dream".  Most of those ideals are positive, but it also teaches that we are owed our individual rights above those of others.  Jesus' message is different. He tells us 'dying to self' is the way. (Matt. 16: 24-25)  I read an article recently that said "In a culture and economy that operates on consumption and acquisition, its difficult to convince Christians to renounce anything. In fact, quite often when American Christians are asked to give up something for the sake of others, its interpreted as persecution." (Bradley 05/13)

I also realize that I've grown up in a much different America than others. That I have had a privileged upbringing and there are marginalized groups that do not feel the same safety I feel.  Racism is still prevalent in America.  Millions of people are living in poverty. Because there is always a need, Jesus calls his followers to reach out to those in need. To protect the vulnerable and needy. To stand up for Truth. Matthew 25:40 says "The king will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these bothers and sisters of mine you did for me.' This should be our focus as Christ followers. One of my favorite quotes is from Martin Luther King Jr. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." We need to speak up for the marginalized, vulnerable, and oppressed. We need to tangibly help the people in need. 

My dad would always tell me that difficult challenges and circumstances will reveal what is truly in somebody's heart.  All the baggage, unresolved issues, and anger that have been buried, rise to the service when the pressure is on.  SO, Coronavirus hits America and excuse my language, all hell breaks loose.  People, including Christians, start to politicize everything, get into fights on social media, attack friends, all in the name of individual rights and patriotism. Using quotes like the one I mentioned by Martin Luther King Jr., or even more popular for Christians, Ephesians 4:15 'Speak the truth in love', when love is completely missing. Instead of speaking up for 'things that matter', we scream our opinions, and really our own personal truths. We build up a wall and then have the audacity to say that this is how God wants us to believe and act. 'Dying to self' is replaced with justifying our decision to blast off a post or just blast someone and call it American, or worse, Christian. Its been so discouraging to see how this quarantine has revealed the hearts of many. Many who say that we should 'love others' but do not actually live this out. 

So how can we move from saying we love, to becoming love? We can start by focusing on who Jesus wanted us to help. The vulnerable, the marginalized, oppressed, and our neighbor. When we are asked to put their needs first and give something up, resist the urge to put politics, and personal opinions above their well being. Although I've been discouraged by some, others have continued to live out the call to love by trying to reach out to the neediest in our city. I've watch my church feed thousands of people who can't afford to buy groceries. I've seen unity with the churches of Green Bay to pray and help those that feel depressed, trapped and lonely. I watched the church move from being a building to being the people. I've seen thousand of good posts on Social Media, of how people are coming together to bring joy and love to so many during this time. I've watched friends learn how to make masks to help the medical community and those that did not have access.  I've seen Doctors who put their life on the line, take care of us and give us information that keeps politics out. 

So who am I during the pandemic?  I'm choosing to do what I say.  I'm choosing to think of the vulnerable. I'm choosing to deliver groceries. I'm choosing to unfollow/unfriend anyone who is ignorant, divisive, angry and mean on social media. I'm choosing to do random acts of kindness to brighten up days for some friends. I'm sending texts to those that I know are struggling with depression. I'm choosing to financially support my church and others that continue to not only say what they believe, but live what they believe. I'm choosing to speak up for things that matter and stay silent on the things that don't.  Am I doing enough. No. So, I'm going to continue to work towards love. Will you join me?  The country has been divided too long. Even if you are not a Christ Follower, the message of helping others can only unite us all. Let's do better. I promise to try. 

Reference: Patheos.com "How a Plague Exposed the "Christian Nation" Myth" - Jayson D. Bradley 05-13-20

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's them, not us. Right?!

My Mess Makes Me Massive

The Marathon Win...The Marathon Loss.